Have you heard about living a “keto” lifestyle and you think it is impossible? Think again dear friend. There are tons of keto recipes out there to help you achieve your aim.
In this post, we will share a couple of helpful recipes with you. After reading through, you should try making them at home to lead a healthier lifestyle. Ready? Let’s dive in.
What is a keto diet?
You must have been hearing about keto diets or leading a keto lifestyle for a while. After all, it is the new cool. But what does “keto diet” mean?
Aketo diet is one that contains a few carbs but a high amount of healthy fats and the regular protein you need. There you go, simple right? This meal helps induce ketosis which drives your body to draw energy from fats instead of carbohydrates.
This is one of the best ways to lose weight fast. However, you should be careful so that you don’t cause more harm to your body than good. Applying these recipes is a matter of preference but while you contemplate, check out a few recipes.
Recommended Keto Recipes
In this section, we will bring you easy to make keto recipes. You can make each one right from your kitchen with easy-to-find ingredients. Let’s go.
Keto Cabbage Pudding
This is also known as Moi-Moi in Nigeria. The difference is that this pudding contains cabbage and a couple of other healthy ingredients. Now, you don’t have to stop eating your beloved pudding, you can just spice it up. Check out the recipe below:
What you need
- Small cabbage
- Chicken fillet (1)
- Sweet red pepper (1)
- Chili pepper (1)
- Small onion (1/4)
- Spring onions
- Boiled eggs (2)
- Raw eggs (2)
- Ground crayfish
- Palm oil
- Grilled mackerel
- Other seasonings
- Shred the cabbage and blend it along with some water. Do this until you get a smooth mixture.
- Take out any excess moisture from your cabbage. Be careful to leave a little to help in making your pudding.
- Cut your spring onions, onions, sweet red pepper, and chili pepper separately into sizeable pieces.
- Put your diced vegetables together and pound them into a paste. Make sure that you don’t add any water.
- Cut your chicken fillet and add it to the cabbage mix then blend into a paste.
- Pour the resulting paste into a clean bowl. Add your vegetable paste and some palm oil.
- Include your raw eggs, seasonings, and salt then whisk the mixture.
- Split the mixture into different containers. The best option is to use small tins but never plastic.
- Add your grilled fish and boiled eggs. Don’t worry, even if the tin is full, it won’t overflow because cabbage doesn’t rise the way beans does.
- Get some aluminum foil and cover each container. Place them in a steamer and cook for about 40 minutes.
That’s it. You can eat this alone or serve with a healthy side dish.
This is also known as fish Moi-Moi. It is a great substitute for cabbage or beans. This meal is also very healthy and you can try it out if you are not a fan of cabbage pudding.
What you need
- Smoked mackerel (1).
- Cayenne pepper (1)
- Bell pepper (1)
- Two eggs
- Palm oil (2 tablespoons)
- Crayfish (1 tablespoon)
- Seasoning cube
- A pinch of ginger
This is one of the keto recipes that is easy to achieve. Check out how to make it below.
- Wash and de-bone your fish then cut it into very small pieces.
- Put the cut fish into your blender and add all the other ingredients. Blend them into a smooth paste.
- Pour your paste into containers of your choice. Small tins are also your best option in this case but never use plastic containers.
- Put the containers into a steamer and leave to cook for 20 minutes.
Now you can serve your fish pudding (Moi-Moi). Simple, right?
Many people don’t even like to take okra soup. If only you know the immense benefits that this soup contains. You’d be taking it every other day. Anyway, okra soup is one of the local keto recipes from Nigeria. Let’s show you how to make it in your kitchen.
What you need
- Chopped okra (400 grams)
- Fresh shrimp (250 grams)
- Stockfish (500 grams)
- Scotch bonnet pepper (1). Alternatively, you can use yellow chili peppers, 3 will do.
- Bell peppers (2)
- Palm oil (1 cup)
- Fresh crayfish (1 cup)
- Nicely chopped spinach or pumpkin leaves (3 cups)
- Ogbono (2 spoons)
- Seasonings and salt to taste.
- Blend the crayfish and pepper then set the mixture aside.
- Season your shrimp and stockfish then boil them. Do this until they are tender.
- Add some water and seasoning to your meat then boil it. Make sure it is tender.
- Add the blend of crayfish and pepper, palm oil, and the chopped okra. Boil this mixture for about 5 minutes.
- Mix the ogbono and some locust bean seasoning in the mixture then stir.
- Add your spinach or pumpkin leaves and allow to simmer. Don’t cover the pot this time. In two minutes, your delicious okra soup is ready.
Serve with any morsel food of your choice.
Keto Fried Chicken
Are you shocked that we have fried chicken on our list of keto recipes? There’s a secret to it. Instead of using flour, we are using pork rinds along with parmesan instead. Also, we skipped frying, instead, we are baking the chicken.
Worried about how this will turn out? Not to worry, you’ll still have tasty chicken breast and you won’t miss the fried taste. Check out the recipe below:
What you need
- Skin-on, bone-in chicken breasts (6)
- Black pepper (freshly ground)
- Large eggs (2)
- Kosher salt
- Heavy cream (1/2 cup)
- Almond flour (3/4 cup)
- Finely-crushed pork rinds (1/2 cup)
- Finely-grated Parmesan (1/2 cup)
- Garlic powder (1 teaspoon)
- Paprika (1/2 teaspoon)
- Mayonnaise (1/2 cup)
- Hot sauce (1.5 teaspoons)
- Line your oven with parchment paper and a large-size baking sheet. Raise the temperature to about 400o
- Dry up your chicken with neat paper towels. Season it with pepper and salt.
- Whisk your eggs along with the heavy cream in a neat shallow bowl. Mix the pork rinds, garlic powder, Parmesan, paprika, and almond flour in a separate shallow bowl. Season the mixture with pepper and salt.
- Dip each piece of chicken inside the egg mixture then inside the almond flour mixture. Make sure that you press it over the chicken to coat. Place each piece on the readied baking sheet.
- Bake the chicken until you notice a golden-brown color. This should be for around 45 minutes with an internal temperature of about 165o
- To make your dipping sauce, mix the hot sauce and mayonnaise in a neat medium-size bowl. You can add more of the hot sauce to your preferred levels.
- Serve your chicken with the dipping sauce by the side.
Benefits of Ketogenic Diets
Now that you have a few keto recipes at hand, you must be wondering why keto in the first place? You are not alone in this line of thought. Many people, just like you, want to know why they should consider switching to a ketogenic diet.
In this section, we will share a few benefits of making the switch with you. One thing is for sure, ketosis has the power to change your life.
Kick-starts weight loss
Have you been trying to lose weight for a long time and nothing seems to be working? What you probably need is a keto diet. According to research, people get to lose more weight with keto diets. Beyond this, it helps to avoid gaining lost weight easily.
Stabilizes blood sugar
We are in a society with so many diabetics. Many of them don’t even have the slightest idea. One of the safest ways of maintaining blood sugar levels is by staying on a keto diet. Doctors and many nutritionists recommend these meals to diabetic patients to help them stay healthy.
Your body is always in need of energy and keto diets help you get healthy energy. This diet helps your body draw energy from fats so you don’t have any carb cravings or sugar swings. All your body does is to thrive.
Have you been struggling to get enough sleep? You can solve this problem with keto diets. These diets help you get very restful sleep even if you don’t get to sleep for long.
Keto Recipes – Conclusion
It is clear that ketogenic diets are the way to go now. We have shared some keto recipes with you in this post. Also, we have shown you why you should make the switch. Having any concerns? Drop a comment below.